Sunday, March 29, 2009

Time and Temp


So its 12:56 a.m. and the weather is partly cloudy, and there are signs of rain as we just had the biggest thunderstorm in history ( hyperbole ) it gave the building a good shake though... Regardless, I'm trying to out guess another network executive in the morning - ( having pitched a concept without a treatment on Friday ... shhhh). But I'm good at it. The pros aren't supposed to do this but it happens all the time. You look into their starry eyed, but ever venomous faces and try to turn into a mind reader when the first idea doesn't go over so well. You feel them out and keep talking until the perfect sentence pops out and they say those magic words, "Send it to me." Then you smile cunningly with the ever confident "Absolutely" - a canned response - and exhale on your way out of the door or off the end of the conference call. Mental Note: I don't do this all the time, but it sure does sound like it...

Well, what are you supposed to do? You spend days and lifetimes on a pitch that they can xnay in a split second, then you take it to another network or studio or wherever you're pitching until the poor idea runs out of gas; OR if you're chops are really up then you might sell the thing on your first try, but either way its a crap shoot! So, you prep the best you can, iron out the wrinkles and sell that possibly used shirt, like its brand new... armpit funk and all. Follow me?

So, I'm going to create a pitch book tonight for one of the ideas that I hope that she thought I had on Friday, and hope that's the one she picks while I finish writing the rest to send out before 5... just in case.

Okay, I guess I'm getting too old for this...


No comments:

Post a Comment